Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Another visit

Well last night I visited my father's friend, Mark, also my father's first employee 30 years ago, in Foster City. He just had an operation to remove about 12 inches of his colon due to colon cancer. His spirits was good and he talks like he was before, brash and loud. But in someways he is humbled a little, I can feel.

He was always the "cowboy" type and the "don't mess with me" kind of person. Very nice guy though. He would do anything for my father. When I was little he took me fishing and he was the first guy I know of that owned a gun. It was "wow" to me at that age.

One night many, many years ago, I went to visit him unannounced, I ran the door bell and when he opened the door a cat ran into the house. He told me to wait outside and immediately closed the door. It was not until about 15 minutes later he opened the door holding a knife and wiping his bloodied hand. He had cut himself with a knife. He said just a small wound and that he had to chase the neighbor's cat away. He complained the cat has been going to his backyard and taunting his rabbits in the backyard and even killing one of them.

He killed the cat that night and threw it somewhere. The next time I saw him after that incident was many years later. I hope he will recover soon.

No comments: